Friday, April 10, 2009

Look out, Lincoln is behind you!

In April 2008 I visited the Lincoln memorial in D.C. and I can only describe the feeling as the closest I've ever come to a spiritual experience. I got goosebumps, everything went quiet (despite the throngs of yelling school children on excursion), and I just felt really, really calm.

Since that day, a year ago, I have seen Lincoln everywhere. Sure, you might argue that he has always been everywhere but I just wasn't looking for him...but it sure is getting spooky.

Now I don't normally believe in 'signs' as such, and I think you make your own destiny, but maybe there is something here. Am I meant to learn a lesson from Lincoln? I'm sure he's got some good ones to teach, even if it is posthumously.

So I thought I would start making a note of the Lincoln references I come across. Over the last year it has included some really obscure things like hearing his name in a rap song, Family Guy references, Dale Carnegie books, and being sent an email from Semi Permanent (design conference) with a big, 'ol picture of Ron English's version of what Lincoln and Obama would look like if they had a love child on the front.

I may be bordering on obsession when it comes to Lincoln these days, but it sure is fun. I've started doing a lot more reading into his life and history, even named a recent goldfish Linc (sadly he was assassinated - no pun intended).

So if you see any of your own, feel free to add them to mine!

Image courtesy of Ron English.

No comments: